Diffused essential oils alter the structure of molecules that create odors, rather than just masking them. Diffused oils also increase oxygen availability, produce negative ions and release natural ozone.
Did you know? Essential oils like eucalyptus, frankincense, lavender, lemon, lemongrass, orange and tea tree can be extremely effective for eliminating airborne germs and bacteria!
Tips for diffusing essential oils:
- Begin by diffusing oils for 15-30 minutes every day. As you become familiar with the oils and can recognize their effects, you may choose to increase the diffusing time to 1-3 hours every day. This depends largely on personal preference and tolerance.
- Be careful to not use more than one blend in your diffuser at a time - doing so can alter the aroma as well as the intended therapeutic benefit of your chosen oils.
- Try and place your diffuser higher up in a room so that the mist falls through the air, effectively removing odor-causing substances.
- Try and wash your diffuser every 3-5 uses - you can typically use any gentle natural soap and warm water (be sure to check with the manufacturer first!). To refresh between each use and remove residue from a previous session, give the inside of the diffuser a quick wipe down with isopropyl alcohol.
- Don't have a diffuser? Add several drops of essential oil to a glass spray bottle with 1 cup purified water and shake well. You can use this to mist throughout your home, workspace or car. Tip! Use peppermint oil to mist in outdoor spaces to ward off pesky insects.
Tips for diffusing essential oils without a diffuser:
- Add your favorite essential oils to cedar chips to make your own simple yet effective potpourri.
- Add oil-soaked cedar chips to closets and drawers to neutralize and deodorize.
- Add 2-5 drops of essential oils to cotton balls and place them on windowsills, heating or cooling vents, in your car, etc. Natural air movement, along with help from fans and vents, will help to move the oils throughout those spaces.
- Apply several drops to a long piece of cloth and tie around the top of a fan - make sure it is secure! Turn the fan on and choose the 'oscillate' mode to effectively diffuse the oils throughout the space.
- Add a few drops of essential oils to a bowl or pan of water and set on the warming element of your stove.
- Add a few drops onto your paper vacuum bag for an uplifting and energizing boost while you clean.
Tips for diffusing essential oils in humidifiers and vaporizers:
- Essential oils can make lovely addition to humidifers and vaporizers.
- Using single oils is best - try peppermint, frankincense, tea tree, lemon, eucalyptus, lavender or ylang ylang.
- Important: Essential oils are very potent and break down plastics. Be sure to check with the manufacturers of the device first, as the oils may damage plastic parts of the vaporizers.